[p2p-research] Micro-Finance in India Stumbling

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 16:23:36 CET 2010

Tanks Michel

Yes, possibly a lack of regulation,
and not enough follow up,
leading micro credit to support consumption,
rather then investment in very small scale entrepreneurship.

---

I liked ( the romantic ? ) idea of community self empowerment through micro
credit,
having a caring follow up, with organizations potentially providing
empowering small scale entrepreneurship information,
potentially enabling pools of woman to pay back loans which could then
directly and entirely go back into financing new loans in their community.

I personally believe that such approach should have remained not for profit,
without interest, ideally in alternative currencies ! ( mutual credit ? c3 ?
just to mention some of the more reknown debt based alternative currencies )

----

I would like to remind that the model implemented by Yunus,
although possibly an improvement by attempting to offer credit possibilities
to poor people wanting to set up their business,

has been implemented based on central bank currencies,
while charging interest.

---

Interest contributes, in my understanding of monetary systems,
to artificial scarcity;

If one shares the understanding that all ( or almost all) money created is
created through credit,
and that the creation of interest on this credit principal is not included.

Hence there is not enough money to pay the principal debt / credit + its
interest ( as the interest has not been created ),
unless the total monetary mass increases ( by credit creation through debt,
on which there is again interest ).

The result, in my understanding, is that through time, a greater percentage
of the newly created money / credit, goes into paying off the interest on
the previous debts / monetary creation... a transfer of money , through
interest, from the ones to take credit, to the ones that do not need credit
or control the credit system :

"a power structure."

When such artificial scarcity of currency is experienced by much of the
population,
much of the population starts competing with each other for scarce money,
briigning labor prices down, and enabling people with money to have control
by using their money to have access to labor - with labor potentially
willing to do things it would not do if it would be in a situation of
currency sufficiency...