[p2p-research] Self-Repair manifesto

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 23:45:49 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 2:57 PM, jwilliamgibson
<jwilliamgibson at ca.rr.com> wrote:
> P2P Research Guru Gang:
>
> Can't one of you send I Fix It an email and say, "Great idea, we've posted
> it! But your website architecture is not consistent with your project. Think
> about changing to x,y,z."
>
> Bill

I sent them a message via twitter, and it turns out that they are
working on an outgoing (read) API via xml,
https://twitter.com/#!/iFixit/statuses/3863545032744960

example: http://www.ifixit.com/api/guide/3185?type=xml That's really great news.

Personally, I'd feel better contributing to ifixit if it were BY-SA,
instead of BY-NC-SA. If I give something away for free, I want people
to be able to use it to make a living if they need to. Releasing
something under BY-SA still ensures that there is no way that others
can wholly claim it for their own. It still remains in the digital
media commons, except now there are more options for more people to do
more with it. The more that I think about it, with the existence of
BY-SA, BY-NC-SA is likely totally unneeded. It'd take you just as many
resources to enforce BY-SA as it would BY-NC-SA. Why stop people from
feeding their families?

Anyway, the ifixit site is a great project. They definitely deserve
congratulations for creating and evolving this resource.

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
http://forwardfound.org