[p2p-research] [Open Manufacturing] Re: Self-Repair manifesto

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 19:26:53 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:39 AM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A similar, and perhaps competing site at http://bildr.org happened to
>> choose Free/Libre Open source software in the form of Media Wiki as
>> the part of their architecture. This turned out to be a good choice,
>> because what they walked away with was a fairly robust API that allows
>> for Creating, Reading, Updating of records.
>
> For anyone who cares, in 2008 we went over why mediawiki and other
> wiki platforms are insufficient.
>
>> example http://wiki.bildr.org/api.php?action=query&prop=revisions&titles=API|Main%20Page&rvprop=timestamp|user|comment|content
>
> re-implementing revision control is silly and i can never quite figure
> out why mediawiki did it. Nice to see an xml export tho.

It actually came from UseMod (which wikipedia was originally based off
of). http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl UseMod in turn implemented
per-page revisions as what was seen at the time an improvement to the
original wiki engine http://c2.com/cgi/wiki

Some early wiki engines actually used revision control applications
(like CVS, which was all that existed back then). It's starting to
come back around again ( you can actually find these discussions on
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki )

You don't have to use the local page revisions in MediaWiki in order
to have MediaWiki participate in an distributed SKDB. All you have to
do is postout  and save to the revision control of your choice  the
most recent revision of a page *that contains an SKDB object within
it* .

This is how people like myself are going to start adopting systems
like SKDB. We'll use it like a pattern in any tool that we see fit.

>> Furthermore, within Media wiki (and really almost any wiki) it is
>> possible to create a vary simple and standard way to enter information
>> so that it can be recognized/parsed. translated if needed, and re-used
>> outside of the original location. In turn, the possibility should
>> exist to contribute back to a resource like ifixit or bildr in the
>> same way from the outside (such as from another wiki, or website, or
>> database, etc).
>

> - Bryan
> http://heybryan.org/
> 1 512 203 0507

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com