[p2p-research] The Commons Abundance Debate

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 08:22:03 CET 2010

Hi Brian,

we also have a p2p mailing list, which I cc'ed, for perhaps further
contributions ..

Concerning the contribution below, I have a certain sympathy for those that
do not want to get involved in a new technology, such as those who refused
writing, to read printed books, to watch TV, and now: use the internet. It's
a legimate choice, and I have beloved family members who do so, yet at the
same time, it will be the choice of the minority, and I believe the majority
of humankind, especially those who are deprived from it, will find it as an
absolute priority to be connected to their fellow men. Here where I live, as
soon as the poor have some money, they buy a motorcycle and a mobile phone,
followed by the TV, and the omnipresent cybercafes are full day and night,
and not by the rich and  middle classes, who own their own computers. They
know what a vital need for communication and learning they have, and that
they now have direct access to a vast store of information and learning,
which they not only use to 'join the consumer society', but also, to
self-organise in many ways previously unthinkable.

But I think that choosing ignorance through non-use, and then proposing
solutions that impact the equally legitimate choices of those who want to be
connected, and that in fact then impose on others one own's choices, are a
very dangerous path.

Of course, no one except tea party'ers ignores that are planet is in serious
problems, and that our computing infrastructure consumes resources, but
restricting internet time through such a authoritarian measure, and given
the monopoly of communication to moneyed interests seems such a
counter-intuive measure and destined to send anyone who proposes it to
political oblivion ... with friends such as these, does the environmental
movement need any enemies?

why not promote green computing, use the internet to save carbon following
the detailed proposals of Bill St. Arnaud, and use the power of collective
intelligent and autonomous self-organisation to solve global issues? why not
use the internet as a means of constructing a new world with new
infrastructures and new life forms, and as a means of social struggle and
unity on a global scale, against the enemy which already long time ago has
used the same weapons against us, which they for decades possessed as a
monopoly ... using mass media against which no effective counter-measures
existed ..

I must say that your earlier text had given me little inkling that you, or
Feasta perhaps, were positioning itself in such an anti-digital-tech stance
... I personally think this can only isolate the movement, and loose any
real contact with the younger generations ... and sever linkages with all
the social forces that are using online and F2F collaboration to develop
lighter and environmentally friendly, commons-oriented infrastructures,

Without the digital, the traditional commons would have continued their
decay, overcome by the superior forces of globally coordinated capital, and
the counter-movements, digitally enabled and organized, would not have seen
the light of day, and neither would shared knowledge commons, shared
software commons, and shared design for sustainability

in fact, without the digital, neither the berlin conference, nor global
movements such as transition, would be at all possible, or at least their
substantial growth in such a short timescale ..

and of course, supreme irony, this conversastion would not have taken place,

What I see as a danger is the emergence of a new puritanism, which uses
ecology as a vehicle to hide a basic orientation which is opposed to
exuberance of life; I'm not saying it can't succeed, it may well one day
prove popular with a demoralized population after decades of social
dislocation, but I do not wish for it,

Michel