[p2p-research] Rivers as Commons

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 14:05:26 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Denis Postle <d.postle at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 09/11/2010 20:47, Samuel Rose wrote:
>
> What country are you in, Denis?
>
> UK. I live on the Thames in London and just this week a consultation opened
> on the role of the Port of London Authority that as I now appreciate a
> century ago was made statutory manager of an enclosure of the tidal Thames.
>
> Since then most of their industrial business has faded and they have drifted
> into being exploitatious monopoly landlords.  Resistance to this posture has
> now grown to the point where they appear to be willing to listen to it and I
> thought I would introduce the notion of commons into the consultation.
>
> Any pointers to previous experience of related negotiations would be
> helpful. I have searched widely for material but haven't as yet come up with
> any texts or contacts.
>
> TIA
>
> Denis

Thanks, Denis.

One thought, at least in regards to "the commons" is that a commons
needs stakeholders: people who recognize that it is a commons.

Also, see http://p2pfoundation.net/Commons_%E2%80%93_Governance#Ostrom_on_the_9_principles_of_governance

It seems to me (without knowing more) that the first place to start is
in connecting the people who recognize the place/resource as a
commons, and getting them speaking as aligned voices to the government
and other entities that can make a difference on the condition/status
of the resource.

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Denis Postle <d.postle at btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
> Does anyone have experience of negotiating commons status for rivers?
>
> Denis
>
> The Mind Gymnasium FREE ebook Library
> A unique digital resource for Personal and Professional development

> The Mind Gymnasium FREE ebook Library
> A unique digital resource for Personal and Professional development

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com