[p2p-research] simon schama predicts a revolution

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon May 31 02:01:07 CEST 2010

Simon Schama is certainly a wise and learned voice.  We seem to also be in
an era of brinksmanship...as with Korea...how close can we get to the edge
without going over.  That usually ends badly, but it seems to be the new
normal.

It is hard to see an economic end game that doesn't become explosive at some
juncture.  But the brinksmanship keeps daring that juncture to commence...a
horror no one wants.

I think Paul Krugman is closest to my own opinion when he thinks that the
current worries over debt are tying the hands of policymakers making the
next crisis impossible to weather without huge suffering in places not used
to it...like Europe and English speaking North America.  On the other hand,
it seems that something must be done about the continual shifting of debt to
stronger and stronger institutions until they too crack under the weight.

Very difficult times to be a policy maker.