[p2p-research] Fwd: [opennetcoalition] Help needed on the Gallo report campaign!

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri May 28 17:48:52 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: La Quadrature du Net <jz at laquadrature.net>
Date: Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM
Subject: [opennetcoalition] Help needed on the Gallo report campaign!
To: opennetcoalition at laquadrature.net

Dear all,

As you know the Gallo report on IPR enforcement will be voted on tuesday in
JURI. In its original form, the French sarkozyst rapporteur l report
encourages ACTA, new criminal sanctions undistinctive of counterfeiting and
filesharing, and the creation of private copyright police
("extra-legislative" treatment for infringement, with "cooperation from
internet service providers") comparable to the ones acting in the "three
strikes" schemes.

This report is decisive to the future of EU IPR policy, and that in its
original form it is extremely prejudicial to fundamental freedoms.

On the other hand, French S&D Member and shadow rapporteur Françoise Castex,
with the help of S&D, ALDE and Greens colleagues, tabled radical
amendments that would completely neutralize the draft report, calling for an
end to the blind repression and looking towards constructive approaches for
funding creation while embrassing new massive usages instead of vainly
trying to combat them.

So far no compromise had been reached, giving a real opportunity for these
amendments to be voted on Tuesday. With a strong and coherent ALDE vote,
they have a chance to pass.

But lately rumours have circulated that some ALDE may be negotiating
compromises with the EPP, bypassing Mrs Castex. Dissenting S&D members could
also vote against Castex.
This could ruin any effort to have a healthy and public debate on these
issues in JURI, and possibly an important victory...

** It is crucial to put maximum pressure on the JURI MEPs today and monday,
**
** call their offices to ask them to refuse the rapporteur's dogmatic
approach. **
** We have set up a wiki campaign page to that aim: **
 http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Gallo_report_vote_campaign

And yesterday we sent to the JURI members a letter with our voting
recommandations:

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/gallo-report-la-quadratures-voting-recommendations

Also have a look to that very encouraging op-ed By Mrs Castex and Mrs
Trautmann "Intellectual Property needs rethinking", published in Liberation:

http://www.francoisecastex.org/2000/05/intellectual-property-needs-rethinking.html#more-1318

Thanks for your help!
La Quadrature du Net