[p2p-research] john pilger on the greeks

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 22:38:33 CEST 2010

interesting question, Ryan, and perhaps someone has figures/stats,

here's what I think I know, based on the figures that I have seen over the
years, but can't back up right now

there are two issues though, one is absolute or relative decline ... my
impression is that 1) africa has declined greatly on a number of fronts ; 2)
latin america has stagnated largely (only the last few years have brought
intensive growth in brazil and venezuela, both largely thanks to clever
redistributive policies, we can argue about who was the cleverest, probably
brazil though)  3) europe and the U.S. grew, but at a much slower pace than
in the preceding keynesian period; also, social progress in all western
countries has stalled (i.e. social determinism has become much stronger,
education etc.. is  no longer working for bringing low income people up the
scale)

the second issue is relative inequality, i.e. one group grows, but slower
than other groups (say the farmers in thailand, who have seen their relative
share decline due to inequality increases); there the score is actually
quite bad for the last 30 years, inequality has increased both across and
within countries; this is also a recipe for instability