[p2p-research] john pilger on the greeks

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 15:23:15 CEST 2010

Yes, I agree with Michel, progress for whom and at what price?

Can anyone structure an argument that any group in the world is materially
worse off than they were 30 years ago?  Any group?  Simply adding the
Internet alone makes such claims implausible in my opinion.

Global life spans are up.  Deaths from wars are down.  Deaths from disease
are down.  Deaths from strokes, cancer and heart disease come later and less
frequently than ever before in virtually all societies.

It is hard to find a statistic globally or locally where things have
dramatically declined for humans in the last 30 years.  Truthfully, that is
even so for the environment where the 1970s were probably the global nadir
for environmental evils climate change notwithstanding.

I believe climate change is a problem...a crisis of great proportions, but I
also believe it can be overcome.  I further believe that the issues of
capitalism are not from its failures but from its successes.  Automation is
making labour increasingly irrelevant.  That is the issue...along with
climate change.