[p2p-research] john pilger on the greeks

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 17:45:47 CEST 2010

thanks ryan, but you missed another important statistic by John: 40 million
americans have problem with finding enough food, how can such a system work?

a quote form john robb, to  put my reply below in perspective:

*When this war ends, and it won't be long, the global economic and financial
system will be the victor.  Once that occurs, the nation-states of the West
will join those of the global south as **hollow
states*<http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2009/03/hollow-states-vs-failed-states.html>
*: mere shells of states that serve only to enforce the interests of the
global economic system.  These new states, more market-states than
nation-states, will offer citizens a mere vestige of the **public
goods*<http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2004/05/failed_states.html>
* they offered historically.  Incomes will fall to developing world levels
(made easy to due highly portable productivity), and wealth will stratify.
 Regulatory protections will be weak.  Civil service pensions will be erased
and corruption will reign.  The once dominant militaries of the West will be
reduced to a small fraction of their current size, and their focus will be
on the maintenance of internal control rather than on external threats.*

in this era of high automation and production of abundance which you so
often highlight, why would everyone have to work ...?

the point is, france is doing well, and the quality of life is good, and it
has been economically competitive; second, other states with even higher
welfare, such as scandinavia, are doing even better, on the other hand,
countries which destroy any form of solidarity and welfare, abandon
education and pensions, are self-destructing  and doing a lot worse ... that
should tell  you something, that any policy which proposes to bleed the poor
towards the pockets of the highly rich, is probably counterproductive, and
these statistics are part of that social warfare

so, any statistic should be read wholistically, as part of a full picture of
the country ...

no doubt a few things should change, including the balance of those who work
and don't work, but the current scorched earth policies will only make
matters a lot worse,

Greece is simply being destroyed, following the prescriptions which I'm sure
you are advocating, i.e. beltightening etc..

here is john Robb, not a leftie like Pilger:

really worth reading:
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2010/05/the-decline-of-the-west.html

Most analysts (at least the ones that are worth reading) contend that the
sovereign default crisis (Greece, Portugal, Spain, etc.) in the EU is about
the collapse of a system that created monetary union without a political
union.  It isn't.  That's actually a narrow, parochial view.  Instead, the
current sovereign debt crisis is about something much more interesting:
 it's another battle in a war for dominance between "our" integrated,
impersonal global economic system and traditional nation-states.  At issue
is whether a nation-state serves the interests of the governed or it serves
the interests of a global economic system.

Who's winning?  The global economic system, of course.  The 2008 financial
crisis, the first real battle of this war (as opposed to the early losses in
skirmishes in Russia, Argentina, the Balkans, etc.), generated a very
decisive outcome.  It was a resounding defeat for nation-states.*   The
current crisis in the EU will almost certainly end with the same results.