[p2p-research] P2P Foundation Wiki Categorization

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Mon May 24 16:58:12 CEST 2010

Hello all,

In recent months I have been more editing on the wiki.  It's not much, but
the little bit i am doing is an effort to connect "Commons Based Businesses"
to each other, and to encourage new users to make regular updates to the
wiki about their projects.

In an effort to aid these individuals and groups in staying connected I have
been looking at the details for the "Category" extension that allows us to
categorize pages on the wiki.

I have added some simplified documentation to the wiki's help page:
http://p2pfoundation.net/Help:Editing_wiki_pages#Categories

For those unfamiliar with this powerful feature here are a few details:

Here is an example "Category Page" for the subject of the "Commons" on the
wiki:
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Commons

If you use this link you can also see, just below key resources, that there
is also a section for subcategories.

Again, the link to the docs:
http://p2pfoundation.net/Help:Editing_wiki_pages#Categories

Category tags look like this:
[[Category:Commons]]

A subcategory turns a category into a subcategory.To make a subcategory:

   1. Add a subcategory to your page. This uses the same syntax as above
   2. Submit your new page, and then visit the link at the bottom for your
   subcategory.
   3. Edit the new subcategory page, adding this page to the master category
   of your choice.
   4. Submit the page.
   5. if you are successful you will see a new section called
   "Subcategories" on the page.

As many are already doing I use my blog to quip on the personal and specific
implementations of projects, and then attempt to place generalized,
re-usable information on the wiki.

Bests,

Alex