[p2p-research] RedBlueCNC: A modular CNC

Ryan rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 18:40:56 CEST 2010

  Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: RedBlueCNC: A modular CNC via
MAKE Magazine by John Baichtal on 5/20/10

MAKE subscriber Nick Santillan of Vancouver, BC, an ID student at the
Emily Carr University of Art & Design, created this CNC for his thesis
project.
I decided to tackle on making CNC machine by allowing people to be more
experimental with them to progress CNC technology from the bottom-up.
The end result is a prototype that is completely modular; users can
rearrange the CNC in a few minutes to specifically suit the tasks. So a
desktop CNC that can engrave below the surface can be transformed into
a wall-plotter in a few minutes using only 1 wrench. Also it can
transform into a wheeled-cart for ease of transportation. This allows
DIY hobbyists to concentrate on new tool-head development without them
having to learn how CNC mechanics works.

I created a blog that goes through my entire year-long process, and
will continue updating it when I experiment with it. I currently have a
Makerbot plastruder, though have not have the time to install it yet.
The prototype is a fully functional 3 axis CNC (with a 4th axis lathe
not yet shown), with a little fine-tuning I should have a video of it
in action hopefully by the end of the month. Read more | Permalink |
Comments | Read more articles in Toolbox | Digg this!
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to MAKE Magazine using Google Reader
favorite sites