[p2p-research] Job Losses and Productivity

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 04:50:59 CEST 2010

I personally think one of the areas of greatest unemployment will be
education.  Schools are hopeless obsolete.  They are, in most rural places,
the largest employers by far.  It is an equation that makes no sense as
governments run out of money.  Why have teacher intensive schools in rural
places?  It's not that I'm against them; I'm not.  They're simply obsolete.
It is a matter of time.  People will fight it, and they'll lose.  It's like
farming.  Same outcome.

The world is moving to urban cores at an extreme rate now.  Birth rates are
dropping.  Work is becoming intensive, 24 hour and service oriented.
Increasingly, people get paid for things they find hard to describe to
others.  Jobs are non-standard and standard is automated.  Even traditional
jobs (e.g. nursing) become highly unorthodox (e.g. Nurse Jackie on HBO).  So
many people here have invented unusual niches to pay the bills.  That will
continue.  Those who cannot innovate will, sadly, be very poor.   How
society copes with those very poor will define the future.

R.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Maria Droujkova <droujkova at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Ryan <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Once again...the same thesis...appearing in a different place.
>>
>> Millions of workers who have already been unemployed for months, if not
>> years, will most likely remain that way even as the overall job market
>> continues to improve, economists say. The occupations they worked in, and
>> the skills they currently possess, are never coming back in style. And the
>> demand for new types of skills moves a lot more quickly than workers —
>> especially older and less mobile workers — are able to retrain and gain
>> those skills.
>>

> Is this happening to school teachers and administrative stuff? It would
> make sense as education becomes disintermediated - much like the job of a
> travel agent, the job of someone "providing information" is now done by
> students themselves, using online tools. The demand for mentors remains
> high, but students increasingly seek them directly, as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Maria Droujkova
> http://www.naturalmath.com
>
> Make math your own, to make your own math.

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham
P.O. Box 633