[p2p-research] personal server technology

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue May 18 11:58:47 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 16:41:23 PM +0700, Michel Bauwens
(michelsub2004 at gmail.com) wrote:

> Might be nice to republish on the p2p blog?

Thanks for the offer! I want to finish the "feature list" mentioned in
the second URL first. Besides, just yesterday, by pure coincidence, I
also had an email exchange with Moglen about the Freedom Box. This is
another "personal server technology", namely the "free as in freedom
hardware" on which Diaspora, the distributed social network software
(www.joindiaspora.com), should run some day:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2010/feb/10/highlights-eben-moglens-freedom-cloud-talk/

and in the mail exchange mentioned above I realized that what I call
VPES (Virtual Personal Email Server) really looks (IMO, of course)
like the email part of the Freedom Box. Because in spite of all the
hype around the Freedom Box and Diaspora (which are both great and
overdue ideas anyway!), regardless of how you physically implement it
a Freedom Box should contain much more than Diaspora to be really
useful.

If all the box offered was a privacy-respectful alternative to
Facebook or social networking in general, I and many others who, like
me, only use those services for work-related contacts and promotion
that should to be 100% public anyway wouldn't need it at all.

Once I've done that "feature list" I may write on the p2p blog a
synthesis of my other pieces and also develop this second point, that
is how all these things could work out together. Does that make sense?

Marco