[p2p-research] The three exodus and the transition towards the p2p society

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Mon May 17 18:00:01 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have recently published the blog post I mentioned in the recent
discussion below, and left a comment on the P2P blog (see below).

I'd be really interested in what people on this list think about the
future of P2P in a near-term scenario of energy depletion. While I am
hugely supportive of P2P values and approaches, I do worry that while
still in their embryonic forms, a global Peak Oil scenario will do
serious damage to the gains that have already been made.

Perhaps you can offer potential opportunities for P2P in such a
scenario? Simply, I see a future of greater social unrest and struggle,
which may offer revolutionary opportunities, which P2P can harness in
some way. I should add that I don't view myself as a 'doomer' nor do I
advocate a survivalist mentality in such a scenario, yet having
researched this area quite closely for several months now, I am finding
it hard to be optimistic for a net culture that draws on such huge
energy resources, not just in sourcing electricity, but in the
manufacture of hardware in which much of the embodied energy of the net
lies.

The problems I see are a combination of technical, temporal, economic
and social.

Technical, because we do not have replacement technologies that can be
deployed on the required scale to smoothly transition to a post-oil world.

Temporal, because by all accounts, the period required to transition to
a post-oil world is measured in decades, even with intense and
co-ordinated effort.

Economic, because our model of growth is tied to our production of
energy. I think that while in its embryonic form, P2P is still reliant
on a model of growth to maintain the infrastructure required to support
and spread the values of P2P and develop non-net-based forms of P2P.

Social, because unplanned de-growth and the development and
implementation of alternative technologies on the scale required, to
combat the negative consequences of both Peak Oil and Climate Change,
arguably requires countries to be on 'a war footing', with intense,
co-ordinated and sustained national effort. During WWII, the UK
mobilised half of national productivity towards the single goal of
winning the war. Is that possible today? What are the policy implications?

I say a little more about that here:

http://joss.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/2010/04/23/climate-change-and-the-language-of-war/

Anyway, here's the comment I made on the P2P blog:

-------------
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/time-scales-for-p2p-oriented-change-the-2030-scenario/2010/05/09

I have recently summarised six recent publications that provide an
up-to-date overview of the social and technological challenges of Peak
Oil and Climate Change.

http://joss.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/2010/05/13/peak-oil-and-climate-change-notes/

I worry that Peak Oil has serious implications for the development of a
P2P culture which, in its current embryonic form, remains largely
reliant on cheap energy, globalisation and economic growth, all of which
are threatened by dwindling oil supplies over the next decade. As liquid
fuels become more expensive and difficult to source, economies will
experience zero or degrowth, providing opportunities for more
authoritarian modes of government that emphasise the need for
'stability' and 'efficiency'. I also fear that Net access is similarly
likely to peak over the next decade and then decline as it becomes too
expensive to maintain the current infrastructure.

In addition, if governments decide to seriously tackle climate change,
it will require the full resources of developed countries, much like
when in a national state of war, again providing further opportunities
for greater authoritarianism, in contrast to the distributed, autonomous
sites of P2P production.

Although I am still inclined to think that long-term, a P2P
commons-based culture can still thrive, I think we face decades of
struggle during a difficult transition to alternative forms of less
intensive sources of energy.

 -- Joss