[p2p-research] Is the p2p approach utopian?

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue May 11 14:32:13 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

(snip)

Thanks Michel, I will be sure to search the blog and Geert's work to
become more familiar. There was a little bit in his blog about this.

I agree, it seems to be confusing/conflating.

>> > This is evidently not our approach. While we think that cooptation will
>> > happen, and is happening, we also see it as a necessary maturation of
>> > the
>> > new infrastructure of social production, of the new  sharing and
>> > commons-oriented consciousness, and these are trends which are to the
>> > advantage of the communities of peer producers and sharers.
>>
>> In P2P systems, there is threshold where cooptation by mostly
>> commercial-interested entities breaks down. The core recognizable
>> principle can be seen in triadic relationships. Where a connection,
>> relationship, or "flow" of energy between A and B is facilitated by an
>> entity that is more like A and B (more like a "peer" than not), there
>> is a lack of cooptation. The more triadic connections where
>> connection/relationship/flow between A/B resembles A/B, the more
>> resistant to cooptation the system will become to
>> connection/relationship/flow facilitator that is not like A/B (so long
>> as what is "like" A/B performs better than what is not "like").
>>
>> A/B as human entities collaborate to choose facilitators of various
>> relationships. Given rate of change in existential conditions, A/B as
>> human entities can benefit from a plurality of choices about how to
>> facilitate any given relationship (it could be more appropriate to
>> centralize or decentralize, depending on the specific existential
>> conditions). Contrary to common belief, both the system and individual
>> can reap greater rewards by leaving the choice in the hands of the
>> individual. For instance, a common daily choice made by individuals is
>> to invest their energy, time, resources in various
>

> I need to understand this better and hope you can rewrite for a standalone
> argument
>
> michel

Michel, I definitely will, and will produce some graphics too. I also
apparently sent out the email without finishing writing it. Sorry for
that.

I will discuss with Future Forward Institute/Forward Foundation
partners and rewrite soon.

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com