[p2p-research] Is the p2p approach utopian?

magius gmagius at gmail.com
Mon May 10 23:21:42 CEST 2010

2010/5/10 Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

> Finally, we need a political extension, one that, based on a
> commons-oriented policy framework, and a push towards replacing the
> corporate welfare state with a Partner State, that institutes commonfare
> (Andrea Fumagalli) and retakes control of the ‘commanding heights of the
> economy’, now in the hands of the destructive predatory factions that have
> taken control of the market states (as proposed by Nick Dyer-Whiteford).

In Italy on April 24 started a campaign to promote a referendum against
water privatization.
During the campaign preparation there was a debate about about water
management. The referendum proposes to go back to a public management, but
during the discussion emerged also positions in favour of a not-statual
public management. In the italian Constitution there's a forgotten article
(article 43) that says is possible to assign commons' management (essential
public services) not only to State but also to "workers' or users'
communities". Imho that's the institutional starting point to think
commonfare.

But how could work a water community management? Perhaps an interesting
model to refer is the english common law. One institution that could be used
to start commons' not-statual public management is the "Community Land
Trust" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_land_trust).