[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcf_discussion] Supporting The Minister of Science and Technology of Portugal' statement

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 19:34:58 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> sounds like you are advocating DRM, unpopular already for paid items, for
> free items?
>
> it may be a technical solution, but I doubt it will be very popular amongst
> the sharing community,
>
> Michel
>
>   On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I actually think there is a relatively simple cloud computing answer to
>> this problem.
>>
>> It would be fairly easy to have a location where a list of valid serial
>> keys would be deployed.  These could be traded as need be...essentially a
>> token.  False use of a token would block the using system from again using
>> that software until certain administrative procedures were undertaken within
>> the cloud.  Double machine use, etc. would constitute false use.
>>
>> This would be a relatively interesting commons...sort of an open iTunes.
>> People in the primary and in the after market could then charge whatever
>> they wanted for a valid key (including no charge)...much as the used book
>> sale function works on Amazon.com.
>>
>> This would be simple...easy, voluntary and obviously open to people
>> offering whatever they want for free.  Once you own a key (which is in
>> essence a contract)...you own the right to execute code, see code, or
>> whatever a key entitles you to on the cloud.
>> The code won't execute without a valid key, etc.  Keys must be renewed
>> every 7 days by a touch to the cloud that registers an IP address and
>> machine ID or changes a random number assignment.
>>
>> Ryan
>>
>>   On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Michel Bauwens <
>> michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

Yes.  But the difference is that the contract is cleared through a co-op
rather than being Org to Individual.  Thus, barterning, credits,
non-traditional currencies, etc. all become easily adapted to this.  Perhaps
that is a final state or an intemediate one to things demanded by those who
do not accept or like the idea of IP.