[p2p-research] Internal announcement of the Free Tax Project

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Mon May 10 16:47:28 CEST 2010

Peter Mazsa wrote:
> I want to invite you to check the first version of
> http://p2pfoundation.net/Free_Tax_Project

Peter,

I'm glad you are working on this, but must questions some of your
basic assumptions.

1.)  How will this be implemented?  Your document seems to suggest we
will beg governments to change.  I'm sorry, but unless you can pay the
officials in charge, I doubt anything will happen.

2.) What is TAX, really?  Could we not think of it as a sort of "at
cost" RENT that is imposed on those that use "community property"?  If
so, then we could implement this by charging rent against anyone
attempting to use any part of a 'simulated' commons.  By 'simulated' I
mean something very similar to
http://p2pfoundation.net/Common_Property_Regime

1.) What should TAX (RENT) be 'levied' against?  The wording of your
document seems to suggest we do as current taxation does:

a.) Punishes Specialization by taxing the exchange of goods and
services (both through Income tax and through Sales tax).

b.) Punishes Improvements Improvements and Clustering (causing sprawl)
by taxing the property built upon Land instead of taxing the
"withholding of Land" from others.  This is explained by Henry George
in his book "Progress and Poverty" with the solution titled "Single
Tax".  See also:
http://p2pfoundation.net/Chris_Cook_on_P2P_Taxation_Reform

Thanks for your time, and sorry to throw so many wrenches into your gears.

Sincerely,
Patrick