[p2p-research] Fwd: Insight share a Participatory Video project

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 21:19:53 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Valentin Spirik <valentin.spirik at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM
Subject: Re: Insight share a Participatory Video project
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
Cc: jose ramos <actionforesight at gmail.com>, Christian Einfeldt <
einfeldt at gmail.com>, Synnove Mathe <synnove.mathe at gmail.com>,
dtpVideo at googlegroups.com

Dear all,

since I - months ago and in some earlier part of this discussion... -
recommended using cameras that record straight to hard disc etc.:

I just fell victim to a vendor lock-in strategy, at least if your country
allows software patents.

You may need to pay *licensing fees for your own footage shot with your own
camera that records to H.264 compressed video*...!!!

H.264 is the appropriation of your work from the moment you press that
record button on your H.264 camera.

The blog entry that started the discussion:

Why Our Civilization's Video Art and Culture is Threatened by the MPEG-LA

http://www.osnews.com/story/23236/Why_Our_Civilization_s_Video_Art_and_Culture_is_Threatened_by_the_MPEG-LA

My latest answer to the discussion:

H.264 licensing explained: it’s like “Schwarzer Peter” (“Old Maid”)

http://indiworks.wordpress.com/2010/05/06/h-264-licensing-explained-its-like-schwarzer-peter-old-maid/

Best,

Valentin Spirik