[p2p-research] VERY urget request for Ning

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu May 6 18:00:17 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Richard Schulte
<Richard.J.Schulte at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ning luckily has been supporting Open Social APIs.  Here is what data that
> will be able to be extracted:
> http://developer.ning.com/notes/OpenSocial_APIs_Supported_by_Ning
>
> Drupal Gardens is not intended as a social networking platform, and neither
> is Wordpress, IMHO.  The best option would be to build a Ning to Elgg port,
> or something of the like.
>
> This company is already doing it professionally
> http://www.keetup.com/ning-to-elgg/.  Doing it manually, then, would
> probably not be incredibly difficult, depending on the complexity of the
> Ning network.

Thanks for info, Richard.

I think we are going to discuss among p2pf participants some more
before before we actually build out anything new. Perhaps participants
want something totally different from social networking altogether?

I think we're at a loose consensus where we need to hear from more in
the community to decide what to invest in next.

----

An aside, I do agree there is an opportunity with Ning to ELGG. Also
check out what is emerging with GNUSocial, which started before the
Ning announcement, and is gaining worldwide momentum
http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Group:GNU_Social

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com