[p2p-research] [-empyre-] seeing yourself a prototype - the limits of open source (innovation as manipulation)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat May 1 08:01:57 CEST 2010

I think we had this discussion about 18 months ago, when you talked about
the contempary situation as a new type of fascism.

What is demobilizing about it, in my view, is that it overemphizes the
enemy, it presumes a total defeat of civil society, which is not the case,
yes, there are new state powers, yes democracy is in crisis, but do we live
in a totalitarian state, or totalitarian capitalism, no, absolutely not.

I think that the fact the you mention insurrectionist anarchism, surely the
most ineffectual strategy at present, as using Agamben, is indicative, it
leads to nihilism.

Otherwise of course, I do find your thoughts and contributions very
informative, since I probably won't have the time to read it all, but I
truly feel that the language the post-modern left is using, is bringing it
further and further away from any contact with real social movements, and
totally away from the construction of a new p2p world, I feel it is the
scholastics of our time,

the way I see the method is: take something which has a grain of truth, say
measures of exception, take it as the absolute truth, then build a whole
system of thought on that doubtful premise,

of course, I wouldn't be able to engage in a convincing discussion about
this, but I noted how activists on the ground, often felt the same way as me
during this type of academic conferences ...

Michel