[p2p-research] open-source gadgets have the best chance in markets where the technology has matured to the point that it is commonplace.

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 02:40:14 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ryan Lanham wrote:
>
> > Innovation in food industries is huge.
>
> I don't want innovation as in GMO or further industrialization of the
> food chain.

That's the point though. Innovation is what people will pay for...if you
want what others don't want, it tends to suck for you...unless you can find
low prices.   There is always a thing with wine drinking professors...they
think they have unique insights on cheap wine...hilarious.

> > Cost reductions
> Cost is on the other side of the equation.

Costs are falling except for resources mostly.   Executives steal the rest.
Executive pay has offset hugely gains in productivity especially in areas
like Banking and Law where pay is just absurd.  There is no rational way to
justify those costs.  Trouble is, that skilled positions in those
organizations can often make a lot...based on skill, eg. a trader.  Hard for
a CEO to make 1/4 what a trader does.

> As We, the Consumers own the Sources of our needs, we receive the
> reduction in Cost as a reduction in Price immediately!

Yeah, so long as technology stops improving.  Otherwise investments are
offset by depreciation...as when your computer gets old.   Someday, the tech
will slow down...as with cell phones...at that point you just get a good
deal.

> > improved nutrients
>
> I'd rather own what is left of heirloom organisms.

Again, it's a market decision.  Personally, I'll generally go with what is
most expensive as my decision about what is best ceteris paribus... that is,
the market probably knows more than I do, so if I am not forced to be
knowledgeable or don't choose to be, I'll let the market judge.

> > It is true that product is interesting to small producers
>
> Product is *ONLY* interesting to Consumers.

True.  Or maybe investors.

> > People will therefore go into small scale production.
>
> By "small scale", what do you mean with respect to describing the
> group who would, ideally invest and Own the Sources of Production?
>
> Similarly: What, ideally, should those Owners do with Profit, and why?

What to do with profit?  Consume as they wish and invest as they wish.
Trouble is, investment is not a good choice if profits are declining...then
you get deflation...like Japan, where there is surplus investment and no
high returns projects.

What is small scale?  I'd define small as anything that doesn't entail
public investment rules (e.g. public firms or large scale financial
partnerships)

Really small is household scale/main street type firms that aren't
franchises.  Those that use community banks or personal financing.