[p2p-research] Jared Diamond [Flickr]

Ryan rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 03:06:12 CET 2010

  Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: Jared Diamond [Flickr] via The
J Curve by jurvetson on 3/23/10

jurvetson posted a photo:

Wearing the Economist colors at their conference on innovation today in
Berkeley.

“It’s no longer possible for a country to collapse in isolation. Now we
all collapse.”

“The only path to stability is to equalize the consumption rates of the
first and developing world. Our dream is no longer possible in the new
world.”

“We are confused between consumption rates and our standard of living.
Most of our consumption is wasteful.”

And Paul Saffo had some sculpted nuggets in the panel that followed:

“Societies, and companies, mimic the communication networks of the day.
We have moved from the mainframe to networks.”

“Our myths struggle to catch up to our reality. How do we shed our
independence and lever our interdependence?”

“There is maybe a 50% chance the U.S. exists as a nation by
mid-century.”

“Engineers flee into the future. Druids flee into the past. I would
hope we would do neither.”

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to The J Curve using Google Reader
favorite sites