[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcf_discussion] Piracy and job losses in the EU

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 16:55:03 CET 2010

On 3/22/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

I think he's wrong on this particular.  I doubt there's a one-to-one
tradeoff in monetized consumption between reduced expenditures for
music and increased expenditures elsewhere.  Some of the reduced cost
is probably taken in leisure--and some of that involuntarily, in
today's economic climate.  Overall, as Eric Reasons argued, the  rise
of Free means we're probably seeing a net reduction in the total
amount of consumption needs met by monetized expenditure, and the
disappearance of a growing set of needs from the cash nexus.

Of course in the case of the music industry, a disproportionate of the
net loss of monetized consumption is probably suffered by the record
companies, whereas a larger share of what money remains can be
appropriated directly by artists without relying on record company
marketing and finance.  So the dislocation for actual producers, as
opposed to useless eaters, will arguably be mitigated.

That was the subject of this blog post:
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/abundance-creates-utility-but-destroys-exchange-value/2010/02/02

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism