[p2p-research] on forking

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:01:29 CET 2010

Nathaniel, is your work on forking available to read somewhere?

So many studies of "open projects" use Wikipedia (or Linux OS) as an
example, yet practically nobody that I know that is involved in "open
projects" is a regular contributor to wikipedia (at least, they do not
represent themselves to be).

Many people would love to see University research projects on open
participatory activities start to look at some cases that are not
Wikipedia or Linux. These examples might be more informative for
people who are engaged in building open infrastructure on local
scales. Especially in the areas of food, energy, manufacturing
production. How has forking affected Arduino, for instance? Is it
possible that physical design projects afford "forking" better than
collaborative knowledge building projects(especially Wikipedia)? I
think there's some evidence this could be the case.

Forward Foundation would be glad to talk about participating in
research like this (and I am sure that p2p foundation/research group
would too). Let us know!

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:32 AM, nathaniel tkacz
<nathanieltkacz at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello p2p list - i can go one better than phoebe and speak for myself!
> i would be happy to distribute my text on forking when i have a finished
> draft, which won't be for a couple of weeks.
> i am also part of the CPoV group for wikipedia research. our second event is
> in amsterdam in a few days. maybe i'll run into some people from this list
> there.
> best
> Nate Tkacz
>
> Research Fellow,