[p2p-research] US Intelligence planned to destroy WikiLeaks

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 18:56:26 CET 2010

On 3/15/10, Tom Rawlings <tom at fluffylogic.net> wrote:
> US Intelligence planned to destroy WikiLeaks
>
>  http://wikileaks.org/#us-intel-wikileaks
> <https://mailserver1.hushmail.com/hushmail/showHelpFile.php?PHPSESSID=E4187F70A9BBCADA2D3E6C6C58895646&file=popupHyperlinkHelp.html#http://wikileaks.org/#us-intel-wikileaks>

Since WikiLeaks uses ``trust as a
>  center of gravity by protecting the anonymity and identity of the
>  insiders, leakers or whisteblowers'', the report recommends ``The
>  identification, exposure, termination of employment, criminal
>  prosecution, legal action against current or former insiders,
>  leakers, or whistlblowers could potentially damage or destroy this
>  center of gravity and deter others considering similar actions from
>  using the Wikileaks.org Web site''.

Oh, is that all?  Simple as that, is it?  Sounds a bit like the simple
Monty Python instructions on "How to Play the Flute":  blow in one end
and run your fingers up and down the outside.

[As two years have passed since
>  the date of the report, with no WikiLeaks' source exposed, it appears
>  that this plan was ineffective].

No kidding.  The U.S. national security community is just now learning
about the Streisand Effect.  That's a remarkably rapid learning curve
for them.

Reminds me of Robb's bit about the U.S. military's Fourth Generation
Warfare doctrine trying to duplicate the networked organization of its
enemies.  Instead it winds up using all that enhanced network
communications technology, not to empower autonomous individuals on
the ground, but to empower larger numbers of mid-level officers.  So
you have the kind of "networked warfare" where the people on the
ground have to have seventeen sign-offs (not to mention a few
PowerPoint presentations thrown in) before they can do anything.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism