[p2p-research] Fwd: Daniel Araya questions institutionalization of p2p

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 05:29:11 CET 2010

I think there is a misconception of what the P2P Foundation is about.

It is not itself a means to launch or dominate a social movement, but only a
platform where  the existing and various players of such movements can talk
to each other and exchange ideas and experiences. P2P is happening
regardless, as a shift in ways of feeling, doing, producing value etc...
These are just empirical observations and how it will play out is a matter
of legimate conjecture. Though I have my own conjectures (p2p theory, if you
could call it that, it's basically a series of hypotheses based on what I
see happening), the material is structured in such a way, that it is a
knowledge commons that can be used even if you fundamentally disagree.

There may be one day a clear political initiative to combine various forces
on a common political platform, but clearly, that is not the role of the p2p
foundation, though stimulating its existence may be.

I hear a lot of complains about our work, and that is fine for me, we (and
I) have clear limitations ... nevertheless, standing where I stand, for
example here in Greece, it is clear that the receptivity is growing, and
that the approach is taking seriously ...

Michel