[p2p-research] Fwd: Daniel Araya questions institutionalization of p2p

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 14:08:14 CET 2010

There is always a delicate balance between vanguard actions and populism
that is almost impossible to master.  My guess is that an organization gets
one move to populism...and then it is stuck there.  Legitimacy is the issue
of populism.  Ideas are the issue of vanguards.

P2P is still experimental...really there is no "there" there yet.  The
actual models of long-term stable survival and renewal are all in test or
starting or yet to be discovered.  A few, like co-ops, are going strong, but
those are largely legal/stable and uninteresting to ideas types.

I think it is difficult to run a campaign of advocacy without relatively
simple and clear objectives.  Those are hard for P2P.  More sharing?  So
what.  Sounds like a kindergarten support agenda.  Right now P2P is neither
angry, organized or searching in any systematic way.

The Purple Movement in Italian politics is P2P.  But we don't understand why
or know how to connect or have theories of when it transfers to something
else.

There needs to be the equivalent for P2P that Max Weber created for
bureaucracy...an idea of what it is and what it tries to go about doing.

Ryan

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> see: http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1099348021222

Ryan Lanham