[p2p-research] [Commoning] Am I missing any commons?

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 20:48:35 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:51 AM, Miguel Said Vieira <miguelsvieira at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hello, Iain, great to hear from you!
>
> Sorry for the long delay in coming back to this. I agree with you, and
> feel that your answer brings us again to an issue that appeared in
> Crottorf: that there will always be a need for some sort of higher
> level, global commons, at least as a guiding principle.
>
> There will always be a level higher, no?  I find that I prioritize my
level, and the one just behind, and then the one just ahead.  3 levels.  I
try to file things like that.  I am always happy to hear of the highest
level, and I try to figure out how to get there, and I get frustrated that I
can't always get there.

> After all, while I do agree with you and Ostrom in that open access will
> not endure (at least not for depletable commons), that also means that
> the (local) commons approach won't be of help beyond the local community
> sharing that commons. It could actually hurt those outside it, as in the
> "virtual world" example given by Massimo; if there isn't any higher
> instance to appeal, the local commons ends up working as a kind of
> community-level individualism, which seems regressive to me. Am I being
> too demanding on the potentialities of commons?
>
> I don't think you are expecting to much for the future, or from our ideal
outlook now.  The 'undepletable Commons' is very difficult for me, as a
concept.  I just wonder how to make sense of all this, for myself, and those
who come after me.

I have always liked the idea of a 'global quality of life index' to inform
perspective on the local and the global.

If a large force sought to overwhelm a local Commons democratically, then a
quality of life' argument would at least give some common ground for
discussion, and insure that the locals had ground to stand on.