[p2p-research] absense of structural reactions to meltdown, Fwd: ZNet Daily Commentary: What Are They Waiting for? By Danny Schechter

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 16:05:02 CET 2010

Hi MIchel,

This is a complex topic.  First, I would say, I am no classic conservative.
My fiscal conservatism relates to my knowledge of how economies evolve and
how governments work.

I believe in social welfare programmes and especially safety nets.  I
believe in social security programs.  I think all governments should strive
to provide them.

I am, as you know, a Keynesian.  I believe government spending should be
counter-cyclical to the business cycle to mollify adverse shocks from
the business cycle.  I also believe, following Robert Solow, that economic
cycles can be influenced by timed investment--and should be so influenced.

That said, Keynesianism speaks little to sovereign credit.  Governments now
are at the end of their legitimate ropes.  If they exceed that credit too
much, there are currency implications that Keynes did not have to cope
with.  Further, there is general loss of confidence in the state's ability
to provide meaningful funds for its legitimate purposes.  There is always
rhetoric that current money is imaginary, etc., which is to my mind highly
destructive.  Money is the basis of our social reality.  Understanding it is
the chief social science and will be for centuries more.  Nations that
manage money poorly impoverish and endanger their citizens--the worst
outcome of government.

The one thing that almost surely did not cause the current crisis is
government policy.  What may not have lessened is government intervention
done well.

We are now in a stark period.  Truly, even the doomsayers have no real idea
how stark it is because most doomsayers live in the happy world others have
constructed for them with policing, stable markets, good regulations and
minimal corruptions.

There is no solution to our crisis on the horizon and there are new
constraints we've never faced before (climate change and the end of labor).
It feels like an end game.  One assumes there is a "beyond" as we all do,
but I'll be damned if I can see it.  It certainly looks like an unhappy
existance for most going forward unless the rules change somehow through
technology.

Whatever life choices a person makes, whatever political and economic views
they hold, only a sociopath hopes for less propserous and less happy times.
There are many sociopaths, sadly.  Properity has always been about choices.
It still is.  It is the choice to avoid certain pains, and to relish certain
luxuries--travel, learning, mobility, security, etc.

Of course no one wants the planet to become uninahabitable or devoid of
beauty, but it is an easy choice for most of us regarding enhanced human
circumstances and a natural world. I'll take the enhanced human
circumstances every time and I consider myself to be a deep oriented
environmentalist.

That is preface to saying states have three main purposes:

To enable safety and propertity (Life)

To enable the protection of freedoms (Liberty)

To allow people to seek their best lives (Pursuit of Happiness)
Here is what states cannot do in my opinion:

1. Guarantee happiness
2. Guarantee a standard of living
3. Change belief systems fundamentally

Right now states are at the brink of their credit.  If they lose that
credit, they will impoverish their peoples.  So they fail at all three of
their purposes.  Most that will so fail will do it trying to achieve one of
the three things that states cannot achieve (especially in the medium to
long term).

As such, I think states must act now like people who have spent too much.
They must conserve, save, and attempt to recoup wealth.  As a Keynesian, I
believe they must also attempt countercyclical investment to mollify
shocks.  This is extremely hard.  States don't do well with moderate
changes.  They either stay the same or change radically.  Both of those
paths are really bad right now.

I'm not optimistic.  Some will do it...New Zealand is looking like it is
responding in most of the right ways.  Sweden is doing OK.  Canada is
starting to do the right things.  The trick will be balanced, stable social
expansion--a managed capitalism.  That's really hard and requires superb
technocrats and an honest and nationalistic business community.  Few places
have both of those.  To get them, there has to be a new contract
between business leaders and government to be mutually supportive, to be
socially engaged, to avoid creating external costs and other problematic
externalities, and to not hold each other hostage in some sort of game.
Most won't achieve that.  It is very hard.  States don't like business and
vice versa.  That rhetoric is really destructive.  What we need now is the
cooperative environments of China, Sweden, Denmark, New Zealand...and the
old California or Massachusetts...or the even older UK.  It is hard to
maintain.  Greed kills it on the one side, and free riding on the other.

rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham
P.O. Box 633
Grand Cayman, KY1-1303