[p2p-research] Ethan Kurzweil has a presentation posted on his blog from 8...

Ryan rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 03:32:04 CET 2010

  Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: Ethan Kurzweil has a
presentation posted on his blog from 8... via The Gong Show on 3/9/10

Ethan Kurzweil has a presentation posted on his blog from 8 months ago
that I just saw for the first time today. This is my favorite slide in
it. I would love to see the fit curve on this slide proved out with
empirical hosting/development costs data from startups over time.
Considering how long Bessemer has been in the business, I’m sure they
could do this if interested.

This graph feels intuitively right to me… but what does it mean when it
costs pennies to build and host a high-scale web service? As costs
approach zero, I’ll bet there will be an explosion in the number of
vertical-specific services that serve small niche audiences. By
explosion, I mean increasing by orders of magnitude. I can already feel
the reverberations of that explosion today echoing backwards in time as
the number of web services launching everyday is accelerating.

Very few of these services will be businesses, but that doesn’t matter
because they’ll cost nothing. That’s the point… businesses are hard to
create, web services will be trivially easy and cost zero.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to The Gong Show using Google Reader
favorite sites