[p2p-research] Intelligent People Have "Unnatural" Preferences And Values That Are Novel In...

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 10:25:39 CET 2010

My view is that enforced social models for sexuality are strongly related to
the emergence of property and class society, though tribal societies had
different models, but in any case, I think it would be fair to observe that
these types of relationships have always been enforced culturally, in one
way or another .. there is probably no such think as a unsocialized
sexuality and relationality.

I think the Church's role in that is not so crucial, they came to marriage
pretty late in the game, and in all the countries without the Catholic
Church, sexual mores are enforced just as much if not more, though the
accepted modalities may be different ...

Where I differ I think is in the analysis that the nuclear family is so
crucial to contemporary capitalism, on the contrary, I think they are
perfectly happy with polyamorous  and perpetually searching singles, now 50%
in western cities, and that the  individual consumer is very compatible with
the current  version of capitalism ... If the nuclear family is deficient in
terms of the happy social survival of the individual, I think that this
enforced lonelyness is even more so.

I personally don't think that the perpetually desire-following ego, without
regard for committment, long term needs of others such as children, is the
pinnacle of human development, but that freely chosen committment, in
whatever form, and that could include a polyamorous group for that matter,
is a sign of an overcoming of such primary ego orientation ...

Personally, I think being alone sucks, marriage sucks, and free love sucks,
I've tried all of them, they all have their advantages and disadvantages.
But when it works, a single long lasting relationship is about the best
there is. A person is infinite, and when the love and the committment
remains, the poly actually diminishes the full experience and synergy with
the other,

The family is still also one of the few remaining mechanisms of true social
solidarity .. when you're really really in trouble, you will see that
neither friends nor the state can be fully relied on, but the family, mostly
always ...

As for the thought that simple unregulated desire is the way forward ...
Let's assume that your desire leads to very young persons? You probably will
agree that there will always be a line somewhere .. So the solution can
never be a full a-social sexuality

Being fully committed and polyamorous at the same time ... good luck to you,
I've known many that tried, but really just a precious few that succeeded,
so I don't see that as a credible social solution for the overall majority
of human beings, who appreciate a full committment, not just because
authority of guilt, but because of all the complicated emotional realities
and struggles that are unleashed when this is not the case

All we can wish for is of course, the freedom to experiment and see for
oneself, so good luck to you

Michel