[p2p-research] keiretsu coop model for publishing

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 03:26:41 CET 2010

I just read that and it doesn't really hold my attention.  I made it through
it anyways.

In this paper the author goes over a number of facts about the decline of
what might be called 'centralized' publishing.  Newspapers, book publishers,
and magazine publishers are looking for new ways of building an maintaining
audiences while turning their attention to the possibilities the internet
has to offer.  On the other side, in this paper, are the 'bloggers' and
'twitterers' who are publishing.

The proposed cooperative publishing effort serves to provide a centralized
site where 'bloggers' can be published to the largest audience and receive
more notoriety as well as a potential income if there is money to be had.

This paper doesn't go into the ethics of content ownership in any meaningful
way, and it also doesn't really deal with the simple idea that large
centralized sites aren't important because Google search works really well.

The author spends a great deal of words explaining the environment and the
challenges to publishers, and uses a lot of bold type to enumerate the
potential gains to authors.  While those gains are probably enough to invite
folks into a publishing cooperative, I believe that the issues she doesn't
deal with, like content ownership, are at the very least a deciding factor
for participants in some way.

Alex
I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.- Socrates