[p2p-research] P2P, Basic Income, and Bankruptcy Law

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 15:17:02 CET 2010

About basic income:

I have a theory that basic income is only really achievable via a
majority of people who actively decide to apply this standard (vs
regulation by governments). Basic income could come in the form of
food, energy, and goods in addition to money.

Right now, we have very little in the way of capabilities of mapping
what basic needs are, and little in the way of allowing people to
directly connect those needs. So, it is very difficult for people to
even actively help one another achieve a "basic income".  Real basic
income isn't just about money, though. It is a plurality of ways of
sharing surpluses.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Edward Miller <embraceunity at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering how to deal with bankruptcy in a world with a Basic Income
> provided by some combination of the p2p strategies, open manufacturing, and
> Guaranteed Minimum Income programs
> Considering that the formal economy would still exist, and presumably that
> would still require defense of property rights.... which means even
> anarchists must recognize that there will be some transition period with
> state-managed property rights... how would bankruptcy be handled best?
> If people can easily rest on their laurels after declaring bankruptcy, then
> they certainly shouldn't be able to do it repeatedly. However, I am quite
> averse to the notion of putting people in prison over this. Is there any
> middle ground?
> Perhaps you could just let the interest and late fees grow and grow forever
> while you ignore it and just live off of the abundance generated....  is
> that how most of you forsee the fall of the formal economy? The debt just
> grows and grows but becomes meaningless. How would that play out? Seems like
> it could be very messy, but perhaps not.
> Speeding that process up with government-run Guaranteed Minimum Income
> programs would be a bigger challenge, since people have negative
> associations with "entitlements," and the Basic Income could easily be
> stripped away if enough people stop paying their debts and then corporations
> gain an overwhelming incentive for attacking the program.... and perhaps
> instituting this program and chopping it down would be worse than doing
> nothing at all. That scenario is the best argument against the Guaranteed
> Minimum Income I have ever thought of.

Sam Rose
Forward Foundation
Social Synergy