[p2p-research] does this correspond to your experience of contemporary youth?

mp m.pedersen at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 02:29:20 CET 2010

Hi,

On 01/03/10 01:04, Ryan Lanham wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Ted Smith <teddks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As a contemporary youth, my impression of this article is that it's the
>> sort of "the sky is falling" crap that has plagued humanity since the
>> dawn of post-simianity. The fact that the author refers to a child as an
>> 'it' in the last paragraph is an interesting slip.

The entire piece is a slip: it begins with the question "What kind of
career?", which is a leading question, infused with the very measure of
capital that the author claims to question. Why did she not ask: "What
kind of person would you like to become, what kind of virtues would you
like to cultivate, any people you'd like to help, social relations you'd
like to establish, indeed, what commons are you going to join?" ??

The answer is of course that she is on the very same track herself, at
best quantitatively different, but qualitatively the same: careering,
competing and perpetuating those very modes of being by asking the way
that she does.

- martin

PS: I just joined the list, having re-emerged to social and virtual life
after completing a PhD titled "Property, Commoning and the Politics of
Free Software", so: Hello all!