[p2p-research] does this correspond to your experience of contemporary youth?

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 02:04:15 CET 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Ted Smith <teddks at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a contemporary youth, my impression of this article is that it's the
> sort of "the sky is falling" crap that has plagued humanity since the
> dawn of post-simianity. The fact that the author refers to a child as an
> 'it' in the last paragraph is an interesting slip.
>
> On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 18:51 +0700, Michel Bauwens wrote:
> >
> http://generationbubble.com/2010/02/26/millennial-tension-the-generation-y-work-ethic-and-the-spirit-of-capitalism/

I'm not sure the Gen Y'ers are devoid of greed.  My guess is that they don't
have good opportunities.  People basically seem hardwired in most cases to
accumulate.  We'd have to learn to not accumulate.  I'm always doubtful of
large scale solutions that require learning rather than greed or access to
sex.

The message that isn't getting through is that the old ways simply aren't
going to continue.  It sort of bemuses me that people are making this about
choice.  It isn't.  It is about necessity.  The world isn't going to net
accumulate in real currency terms for decades more.  When it stops, times
get interesting.  I'd like to live long enough to see how it comes out.
 Most baby boomers think the opposite.  They want to live short enought to
not see it.