[p2p-research] Wiki Content License

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 14:51:26 CEST 2010

hi alex,

you may see our method as one to be avoided, but it is about 98% of the
content,

the wikipedia/mediawiki rule is clear, do NOT post any copyrightetd material
without approval, and obviously, if I followed that rule, our wiki would be
empty,

doing a wikipedia strategy would invove writing all the articles from
scratch, and if you do that, you can in effect say, please use it freely,
it's all original,

but in our case, where most of the material is of third party origin, even
though using fair use/fair dealing as justification, you cannot give such a
blanket authorisation and say, please use our stuff and make money with it
.. that would be very misleading, dangerous for us and them, and even
unethical.

but in my proposal, you would add a sentence, if the material is original to
our wiki, feel free to re-use according to CC xx, then that would clarify
the very specfic but limited circumstances in which a commercial license
would make sense,

Michel