[p2p-research] the sterling quote

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 20:24:52 CEST 2010

Michel,

Large corporate entities are a problem.  And you are right that corporate
plunder had led to socializing losses.  That is a big part of the problem.
We socialized risk, but not reward.  There are plausible reasons for that.
Mostly those reasons have to do with avoiding accelerating crises.  For now
it looks like we are going to enter into another major slow down.  It will
be painful.  I think the intent is to convince the baby boomers all over the
world that the funds do not exist to give them intensive health care and a
retirement package.  And that funds will not be reallocated to that end as a
social priority.  You might feel that is a violation of trust. I guess it is
so.  But it isn't going to happen without near social civil war or just
plain abandonment of the old by the young, so I am not sure what
alternatives now exist.  Consequently, I am of a mind of finding paths that
minimize the pain.  Pain is relative now.  We are before the surgery in most
of the world.  We'll see what the damage is, and how much it hurts.  For
now, all that can be done is to save and to wait.

Ryan

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> perhaps Ryan, this will explain my beef with people like matt ridley, who
> while running their business in the ground and using public money to
> socialize their losses, then go on lecturing us on the benefits of the free
> market:
>  Bruce Sterling on why<http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/14/bruce-sterling-inter-2.html>the global financial oligarchy = global guerrillas:
> *large financial centers in certain cities around the planet are certainly
> going to kill millions of us by destroying our social safety networks in the
> name of their imaginary financial efficiency. You’re a thousand times more
> likely to die because of what some urban banker did in 2008 than from what
> some Afghan-based terrorist did in 2001. Financiers live in small, panicky
> urban cloisters, severely detached from the rest of mankind. They are living
> today in rich-guy ghetto cults. They are truly dangerous to our well-being,
> and they are getting worse and more extremist, not better and more
> reasonable. You’re not gonna realize this havoc till you see your elderly
> Mom coughing in an emergency ward, but she’s going there for a reason.*
>

> (http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/14/bruce-sterling-inter-2.html)

> Think tank: http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com