[p2p-research] on matt ridley ..

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 01:33:00 CEST 2010

don't you find it strange that your own vision is rather doomsday, i.e.
capitalism is dead, yet  you recommend a book that, (not having read it),
seems to state the obvious, we are better off since WW II (of course, a
conclusion that should be severely qualified), while severely mis-stating
why it happened (i.e. highest development rates were under socialized
economies, not deregulated ones), and you can't logically deduce from
post-WW II developments that material economic progress will be infinite,
while ignoring all problems with sustainability ...

again, without having read it, just the reviews, it seems a profoundly
unimportant book, things have gone well for us in the past, they will go on
in the future, there's nothing to worry about ... I mean, how sillier can it
get ?

for info, environmental experts picked just one of his chapters, and
basically rip it apart:

"Basically, the excerpt from the book looks like another unbalanced
contribution from an author who has a predestined opinion. I think the title
of the book should be *Cherry-picked reality: How fantasy is maintained by
false scepticism*!"
(
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2010/06/matt-ridley-comments.html
)