[p2p-research] "Time dollars" to finance a wedding, and "Time banks" across the US

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 13:14:23 CEST 2010

http://www.chicoer.com/news/national/ci_15217732

Quote: "LLENTOWN, Pa.—No money? No problem! Pay with time, instead.

That's what Maria Villacreses did when the economy put a hitch in her
wedding plans: She used "time dollars" on everything from a wedding-day
makeover to an elaborate seven-layer cake.

In a modern twist on the ancient practice of barter, people like Villacreses
are joining time banks to help them get the things they need or want without
having to spend cash.

In a time bank, members get credit for services they provide to other
members, from cooking to housekeeping to car rides to home repair. For each
hour of work, one time dollar is deposited into a member's account, good for
services offered by other members.

Scores of time banks are being started in hard-hit communities around the
nation—and thousands of devotees are helping each other survive tough
financial times.

"Even though we were planning to do something small and simple, it takes a
lot of money, time and effort. Through time banking, I got a lot of help,"
said Villacreses, who belongs to Community Exchange, a 10-year-old time bank
in Allentown, where 500 members offer everything from electrical work to tai
chi."

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
http://www.naturalmath.com

Make math your own, to make your own math.