[p2p-research] Wiki Content License

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:08:34 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Alex Rollin <alex.rollin at gmail.com> wrote:
> For those who contend that this license does not serve their needs, I
> wonder, is it possible that you might write a quick narrative that
> shows how this license impinges on your needs?  A few sentences about
> a scenario, say?
>
> I write on the wiki with the intention of being able to consult or
> implement solutions based on them, and I do this as a means of
> enabling my fellows in the network.  I think I just don't know if this
> causes a problem with selling 'the Work' as a book (to cover costs,
> for example).  Is this the case?  That might, I suppose, be a bad
> thing.
>
> If I write on the wiki am I assigning all rights to the Foundation?

It's not clear (other than the BY-NC-SA license declared, which at
least means that you agree by writing on the wiki that I may re-use
your work under BY-NC-SA license)

> What if it is published on my site first?

My understanding:

Common law is that your license on your site would dictate how that
content may be re-used. If you place no license on your site, then
publish on p2pwiki (or any community site with a CC declaration) you
now agree to BY-NC-SA by publishing on a site that states all work is
published that way,  and declaring no prior license on your site.

However, if you only publish on your site, and declare no license or
copyright, etc. Common Law is interpreted that you hold all rights to
your work unless you explicitly declare otherwise.

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM, j.martin.pedersen
> <m.pedersen at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> I don't know what led to the choice of license. But, as far as what
>>> the license means, the best source is the legal language of the
>>> license itself:
>>>

>>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode
>>>
>>> Section 4c 4eii and 4eiii in particular seem to clarify what is meant.
>>
>> There has been a very long consultation process with regard to the NC
>> clause.
>>
>> Here is a summary: http://www.box.net/shared/8idfmfzx7c
>>
>> Basically, there are no clear-cut subclausaes provided by CC to deal
>> with the grey area between letting Rupert Murdoch making money on your
>> creation and letting the local anarchist collective sell your creations
>> for the upkeep of their social centre. However, many people quite simply
>> add their own sub-sub clause:
>>
>> "You may sell this creation for money, if you are not a big evil
>> corporation, but rather a nice, not-for-profit, community building
>> project", -- for instance.
>>
>> That CC did not pick up on this a lot earlier is probably a reflection
>> of their tenure track, funding and tech fetish oriented reality, which
>> lies far from social struggles in the material realm. See for instance
>> for a way into critiques of CC:
>> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/commons_without_commonality/
>>
>> -martin

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com