[p2p-research] Wiki Content License

j.martin.pedersen m.pedersen at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jun 24 16:53:29 CEST 2010

On 24/06/10 15:32, Samuel Rose wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Michel and all,
>>
>> I am concerned about the "Non-Commercial" CC license used for the
>> content of the P2PFoundation wiki.
>
> I don't know what led to the choice of license. But, as far as what
> the license means, the best source is the legal language of the
> license itself:
>

> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode
>
> Section 4c 4eii and 4eiii in particular seem to clarify what is meant.

There has been a very long consultation process with regard to the NC
clause.

Here is a summary: http://www.box.net/shared/8idfmfzx7c

Basically, there are no clear-cut subclausaes provided by CC to deal
with the grey area between letting Rupert Murdoch making money on your
creation and letting the local anarchist collective sell your creations
for the upkeep of their social centre. However, many people quite simply
add their own sub-sub clause:

"You may sell this creation for money, if you are not a big evil
corporation, but rather a nice, not-for-profit, community building
project", -- for instance.

That CC did not pick up on this a lot earlier is probably a reflection
of their tenure track, funding and tech fetish oriented reality, which
lies far from social struggles in the material realm. See for instance
for a way into critiques of CC:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/commons_without_commonality/

-martin