[p2p-research] Forward Foundation Communications and Projects?

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 16:53:22 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Alex Rollin <alex.rollin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there's a way to get into the details of the
> Forward Foundation's work and developments.
>
> For example, is there work on a currency system happening?
>
> What code is now in testing/deployment phase?
>
> I'd love to learn more, and after looking through all the FF.org pages
> I couldn't find a way to stay more current on developments or
> contribute to testing.

The currency/resource management stuff is still being developed by us
at this stage. This summer, we are working with different food
producers here in the midwest to test much of this out, and
documentation, software releases etc will increase rapidly. We're
committed to releasing everything we have in the open (under some
equivalent of BY-SA license, no "NC"), in all cases.  In this case,
since we hope to publish something about this, plus present it at
various conferences, we being selective about when we openly release.
I think this is fair, as we have a number of combined years into
thinking about this. We've all really put a HUGE amount of time and
energy into this over the last 3 years (much of this economic research
work thus far uncompensated by anyone, save for our work with IFTF on
cooperationcommons.com in it's early stage as an IFTF project). So, we
are giving ourselves time to do something useful, and really connect
it with real world problems, needs etc, plus thoroughly think about
it. In the case of what you ask about above, this will developed in
conjunction with food networks we are building over time (starting
with open source technology based urban indoor hydropnics and
eventually vacant land extended growing season hoop house approaches).

At Forward Foundation/Future Forward Institute those of us who are
owning members of that social enterprise for profit/not for profit
entity have opted to create a policy and approach to participate in
existing communities on and offline, instead of creating our own
community. (email lists, blogs, forums, etc)

We're working on an "ecology" site right this very moment that allows
others to follow where and when we are engaging other communities.
This should be ready to share very soon, in fact.

We also store much of our in-progress work at wagn.holocene.cc though
this is large just a disorganized transparent internal workspace at
this time, and not meant to be a public collaboration wiki. We'd
rather do that actual collaboration in p2pwiki, metacollab.net,
communitywiki, this email list, etc

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com