[p2p-research] Postcards from Hell: What Failed States Look Like...

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 02:06:36 CEST 2010

This article is sophmoric silliness... A failed state is a state that has
failed... not one where we nice people in middle suburbs don't happen to
like their politics or how they treat their garbage... It is a state that
doesn't do the minimum that a state must do which is to provide an orderly
framework for the conduct of internal affairs and for its relations with its
external environment.

I've been in to several of the places indicated in this list in the last
couple of years (Ethiopia, Kenya, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh) and while they have
problems, often severe and even seemingly insurmountable economic, social
and political problems they are not "failed states".

Certainly places like Somalia and the Ivory Coast and a number of the others
would likely qualify but under no circumstances would the five that I've
visited directly nor many of the others that I know secondarily fall under
that definition.

MBG