[p2p-research] Controllng networks (was Re: cutting cultural budgets)

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 02:35:59 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 5. It is true that those who live through gifts from the state or
> philanthropists will not have an easy go in the future.  All the more reason
> why P2P can and should thrive.

This insight has me thinking (a divergence from :

When and where p2p and many-to-many networks emerge, fill in voids
left by collapsing old industrial era systems, and eventually come to
dominate, we have a potential problem related to:

1. Information cascades

2. Issues of perception and belief in networks

Distributed networks where information is primarily sourced from a few
PR or news sources, can be attacked with disinformation. These
networks can at least briefly be harnessed by way of having command of
what is widely perceived within them.

I don't yet know how much work has been done on perception in
distributed (or "p2p") networks. But, it seems to be one way that
these networks can go from robust to "fragile" (looking into this
now). Literacy of participatory media, and ability to discern valid
information and knowledge from disinformation seems key.

Just some thoughts (starting a new thread so as not to hijack the
cutting cultural budgets thread)

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com