[p2p-research] Thoughts on Robb

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 06:14:35 CEST 2010

Dear gordon,

I'm not a john robb expert, having not read the book, but I follow his blog,
though with some delay, but  I consider him, together with jeff vail, I
consider him a top thinker on p2p ...

what makes distinctive is 1) his emphasis on negative p2p developments, the
dark side if you like, i.e. p2p-democratisation of warfare, insurgent
organisation, and the means of destruction .... According to him, combined
with other developments this leads to a fatal weakening of the nation state.
The meltdown for him is less a crisis of capitalism than actually a victory
of the global market forces over the nation state. The result is hollow
states, that keep the form, but are no longer able to carry out the duties
and functions of the state .... So, when people discover that the
nation-state is no longer able to solve any of their fundamental issues they
turn to more basic levels of identity and social organization, and they can
do this in progressive ways (open localization concerned with equity and
world governance), or in reactionary ways (restricted group identity
communalism). It;s pretty clear the tea party is the latter, while john
robb, like us here at the p2p foundation, are in the former. The key
distinction is where do you draw the line of concern (who is the in and out
group), and how you relate to the outgroup (solidarity vs. enmity).

Another distinction is the optimism/pessimism factor and how to factor in
the possibility of progressive social forces .. My own take is that you can
never discount new social movements emerging, and I hope to see at some
point, a merger of social mobilization, with constructive p2p communities. I
think John Robb totally discounts that form of collective agency, hence he
can only see the global market, captured nation state by predatory factions,
and in reaction, local resilient communities. It's really like there is
nothing in between collapse and resilience. I  hope he is wrong, is all I
can say, and that a new progressive wavew is still in the realm of the
possibilities. It all boils down to this: is this the final stage of
dislocation of the current global system, as John Robb asserts, or do we
still have a possibility of a new growth wave, even amongst the serious
problems developing?

But in any case, even if the latter were possible, we still have to go
through a deep period of dislocation to deleverage the former system-wave...
and exactly because the global political elite fails to do this (they are to
weak vis a vis the global market forces and can't rely on any strong social
movements to counter-pressure them), we are in for a prolonged period of
chaos, like the thirties in Europe ...

Short term (say 15 years dislocation) or long term dislocation (think end of
roman empire), that is the question ...

in any case, even if a positive kondratieff wave was still possible, it
would very very soon collide with interlocking global crisis which would
make the continuation of capitalism unthinkable in a frame of more than 50
years .. so the problem is, what will replace it, a reactionary power
structure of increased exploitation, in a global struggle for dwindling
resources amongst overpopulation, food and water and resource depletion and
climate change, with scattred pockets of resilient communities ... or a new
p2p system centered around open commons of knowledge, code and designs,
linked to relocalized and more distributed property formats, with forms of
global governancde that protect the planet?

Michel