[p2p-research] Economics 13/06/2010: Mapping Dublin's weight in economy

Ryan rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 19:59:26 CEST 2010

The reason I show this is that cities obviously account for a
disproportionate share of national productivity. That alone would tend
to dictate the world will urbanize.

Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: Economics 13/06/2010: Mapping
Dublin's weight in economy via True Economics by Dr. Constantin
Gurdgiev on 6/13/10
Here is an interesting set of data for some of the world's leading
cities in terms of their contributions to country GDP and their share
of total population. Sizes of the bubbles reflect the ratio of
contribution to GDP to share of population. Greater Dublin is taken as
per CSO: Dublin plus Mid-East region.
To me, this really does put into perspective the necessity for
continued investment in the Greater Dublin region and the futility of
our serial National Spatial Development Strategies.

We hear so much about the massive urbanization in the emerging
economies, especially in the East. This process, in fact, is very much
a reality. But what we do not hear about is urbanization of our own
economic activity. The fact that Dublin stands out amongst the most
urbanized zones, relative to the rest of the country, in the world is
telling me that Ireland should focus more attention on developing the
Greater Dublin region to reflect the reality of demand of the firms'
and workers' for its location.

Updated: see the same chart with Dublin only:
Note: per CSO "The Mid East region (Kildare, Meath and Wicklow) and the
Dublin region are affected by a substantial proportion of their
workforce living in one region and commuting to work in another."
That's as much of a 'definition' as we get to reflect the most likely
fact that vast majority of commuters are to Dublin...

And here are the inputs that went into the above charts:
And the source for Dublin figures: National Accounts, regional incomes:
Notice that Dublin City's overall relative weight in the economy (ratio
of share of GVA to share of population) rises relative to Greater
Dublin, as expected, in line with the evident 'bedroom communities'
nature of Mid-East region. Just look at the CSO figure for Mid-East
share of GVA.
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to True Economics using Google Reader
favorite sites