[p2p-research] land multipliers

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 17:19:21 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Comments on this remark most appreciated:
> http://vinay.howtolivewiki.com/blog/other/infrastructure-is-a-land-multiplier-1771
>

> For example, at five people per acre, about the maximum possible sustinable
> density for high intensity organic agriculture, Greater London can support
> about 1/4 of its current population. Therefore the “land multiplier” for
> Greater London is 4. (or possibly more if you count the skills of high
> intensity agriculture as infrastructure)

I agree that the way cities are managed with regards to food and
energy cannot be sustained. Vinay is right that food production in
general is going to need to increase, possibly exponentially

A few thoughts from my own experiences with urban agriculture

1. 1 acre of arable land could certainly support more than five
people's food needs annually, if it were effectively managed.

2. The tops and interiors of structures contain a huge amount of
unused space in cities.

3. I have witnessed the incredible power of soil production firsthand
in urban settings (via both composting and vermiculture). The current
food waste in a typical city could easily be converted to enough soil
to support the food needs for a large number of people

My point is that a large city like London, NYC, Mexico City *could*
supply it's own food needs now with existing resources, solar and wind
energy (likely with surplus). It would take a concerted effort (likely
at least some degree of participation by a majority of people in the
city, until it becomes clear as to what can be automated)

> --
> P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net

> Think tank: http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com