[p2p-research] updated Business Models wiki section

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 22:18:18 CEST 2010

Excellent points about sharing, Sam.  I had a brief discussion with Stefan
Meretz today about the vocabulary used in describing commons based models.
 I feel that this work around common characteristics of P2P systems can
somehow help us highlight the 'per model' similarities and differentials.

When you say that the unique aspect of each model is what can be shared I am
in definite agreement, and add that the particular sharing is also
indicative of that models particular relationship to one or more types of
commons.

In my earlier conversation with Stefan I was getting into semantics with the
word 'business' in the phrase 'commons based business model'.  I wouldn't
say that the workd 'business is necessarily particular helpful in describing
these operations, or that it is one of these important supporting concepts,
and yet our wiki doesn't yet have a way of helping folks to make a
connection between network rules, or protocol, and business.  I am hoping
that our efforts on the wiki will help to either find another word for
business or reclaim it while showing the work of that reclamation as open to
comment, whether those words are protocol, network rules, or something else.

I'm hoping that publishing his recent 'taxonomy of goods' to the wiki will
also help to bring out some of the commonalities and differences between
models at the level of 'commons-based'-whatever- in an effort to further
elaborate on these underlying concepts as support structures that are simply
remixed or emphasized in various ways when building up a model.

A note on process; I am collecting pages that explore the discussion around
classification of goods in the Thing Commons category.  This is related to
this discussion of concepts because, in one way of seeing it, each of the
Five Commons from the FF model is a distinct emphasis on or more concepts,
as opposed to and without diminishing, the others.
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Thing_Commons

Alex